Norway arrests suspect in 1982 attack on Jewish restaurant in Paris

September 11, 2020 by JNS
Read on for article

Norwegian police arrested a suspect in a 38-year-old terrorist attack on a Jewish restaurant in Paris that left six people dead and at least 20 wounded.

Jo Goldenberg’s restaurant in the Rue des Rosiers in the Paris neighborhood Le Marais, on June 12, 2005. Credit: David Monniaux via Wikimedia Commons

The suspect, a man who had been sought by French prosecutors for the Aug. 9, 1982 bombing of and shooting at the Jo Goldenberg restaurant, was arrested on Wednesday, reported Reuters.

He was among three former members of the Abu Nidal Organization, which split from the Palestinian Liberation Organization, for whom arrest warrants were issued in 2015, according to Reuters.

Now in his 60s, decades ago he immigrated to and became a citizen of Norway, which prohibits the extradition of its nationals but allows for their prosecution in Norway for offences committed abroad.

Norway recently adopted new pan-European regulations on arrests, the report said, which led French authorities to resume their quest.

JNS

Comments

One Response to “Norway arrests suspect in 1982 attack on Jewish restaurant in Paris”
  1. Michael Barnett says:

    More details:

    Norway arrests suspect in 1982 attack on Jewish restaurant in Paris
    By Reuters Staff

    2 MIN READ

    OSLO (Reuters) – Norwegian police have arrested a man sought by French prosecutors on suspicion that he took part in a fatal attack on a Jewish restaurant in Paris 38 years ago, the man’s lawyer and police said on Wednesday.

    The August 1982 bombing and shooting assault on the Jo Goldenberg restaurant killed six people and wounded at least 20.

    In 2015, arrest warrants were issued against three former members of the Abu Nidal Organization, a splinter group of the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO), a source told Reuters at the time.

    One of the men lives in Norway, where he immigrated in the 1990s, but Norwegian authorities rejected the original 2015 request on grounds that, in most cases, it would not extradite its own citizens.

    The man, now in his 60s, has previously denied any involvement in the case, according to Norwegian daily Dagbladet, which first reported his arrest. In 2015, he told Norwegian daily VG he had never been to Paris.

    The suspects were identified long after the attacks because of statements from other former members of the Abu Nidal group using a French judicial process that maintained their anonymity, the source said.

    Norway recently adopted new pan-European regulations on arrests, leading French prosecutors to seek extradition for a second time.

    A legal process in Norway will determine whether formal grounds have been met for extradition. If he is tried, any judgment will be by a French court.

    “We were contacted this morning after the arrest by the PST,” said the man’s lawyer, Kenneth Meland. “I’ve not yet had the opportunity to speak to him myself.”

    Meland’s law firm also represented the suspect in 2015.

    The attack at the Jo Goldenberg restaurant was at the time the deadliest anti-Semitic attack in France since World War Two, and was part of a wave of violence involving Palestinian militants.

    Reporting by Terje Solsvik, Editing by Timothy Heritage

Speak Your Mind

Comments received without a full name will not be considered
Email addresses are NEVER published! All comments are moderated. J-Wire will publish considered comments by people who provide a real name and email address. Comments that are abusive, rude, defamatory or which contain offensive language will not be published


    Rules on posting comments