Jackas get a Second Crack at the Grand Final

September 4, 2011 by Ashley Shenker
Read on for article

Ajax are heading to next week’s Preliminary Final against Old Camberwell, after an 8 goal defeat at the hands of a much stronger Werribee side, losing 10.8.68 to 18.7.115 at Bill Lawry Oval in Northcote on the weekend.

Ajax in action

Meanwhile, the Reserves have stormed into their Grand Final with a convincing victory over Werribee, winning 13.14.92 to 5.7.37. The Nissen brothers, Matt and Brad kicked five goals between them, and Luke Peters, Sam Chester and Brad Caplan slotted two each. M. Nissen was joined by defenders Ben Klein and Nick Gold in the best players, as well as young guns Nadav Harel and Timmy Freed, and giant Jason Samuel.

Up there Ajax

The Seniors will get another chance to cement a spot in Premier B Grade, but more importantly, an opportunity to play Werribee again for the Premier C flag next week. It was a dirty day for the Jackas up until the last quarter, where they outscored their opposition seven goals to four. Jake Lew finished the game with five goals and David Fayman with two; however, it was the two half-backs who were the standouts on the day, with Warren Steinberg and Geoff Measy providing great run and composure out of the backline. Coach Bernie Sheehy said after the game that “we were outclassed by the opposition, but we’re certainly good enough to beat third (Mazenod) or fourth (Old Camberwell) next week”.

It was a nervous and scrappy start from both sides in the first term, and after the Jackas promised early, Werribee were first to trouble the scoreboard with an easy run into goal. However, Ajax was able to get ahead in the midfield and forced the ball forward, where Fayman cleverly tapped on to Lew who also ran into an open goal to give the Jackas their first for the day. From this point on, it was all Werribee, who gained full control in the middle winning numerous clearances and added the next four goals to take a 25 point lead into the first break.

At quarter time, Sheehy told his team to “be brave and get your head over the ball, and hit your targets”.

The wind slightly favoured the Jackas in the second term, but they were unable to capitalise, being kept goalless by their opposition, who in-turn kicked five straight goals for the quarter. The Jackas disposal let them down with a number of turnovers leading to Werribee goals, and with extreme pressure put on them by their opponents, the decision-making going forward cost them on many occasions. The backline held strong, as much as they could, with Steinberg and Measy continually cleaning up in defence throughout the term. At the long break the game was basically over, as Werribee blew the margin out to nine goals.

The coach acknowledged at half time, “You haven’t been that terrible, so run out there with your heads up and win the contests.”

Though the second half started in the same way the first ended, with Werribee slotting the first two goals, Lew did manage to add his second halfway through the quarter, however Werribee were able to hit straight back with another two majors. Eugene Routman then ended the term on a good note, with a persistent goal after hitting the post only minutes earlier. The Jackas continued to attack at the end of the term, but Werribee were able to take an 11 goal deficit into the final break.

Sheehy just wanted his team finish the game strongly by “outscoring them (Werribee) in the last quarter”.

That’s exactly what the Jackas did, by kicking seven goals to four for the term, and providing them with a bit of confidence heading into next week’s highly important game. Goal-kickers for the term included Lew (three), Fayman (two), Josh Sacks and Ben Kalmus.

Now with a huge task this week against Old Camberwell in the Preliminary Final, the Jackas will no doubt come out all guns blazing. It was at this stage in last year’s campaign that the Jackas’ season ended with a heartbreaking one-point loss to Beaumaris, so they will certainly be out to rectify that result with a big performance this week.

With a week off, the Reserves players will be kept in cotton wool as they prepare for their Grand Final next weekend, and will hopefully be joined by the Seniors to attempt the double-flag, last witnessed in 1999.

Speak Your Mind

Comments received without a full name will not be considered
Email addresses are NEVER published! All comments are moderated. J-Wire will publish considered comments by people who provide a real name and email address. Comments that are abusive, rude, defamatory or which contain offensive language will not be published

    Rules on posting comments