O’Connell gets three years

January 31, 2011 by Henry Benjamin
Read on for article

Brendan O’Connell, the Perth man who was found guilty last week of six charges of racial vilification following his posting of an anti-Semitic video on YouTube has been sentenced to three years in jail.

Brendan O'Connell with text - YouTube still

O’Connell had taken viewers on a trip from his home to a South Perth supermarket at which a peaceful protest was underway by the Friends of Palestine who were objecting to Israeli produce being sold in an IGA supermarket.

An altercation ensued involving two young Jewish men who had been quietly observing the protest and O’Connell videoed the exchange between himself and the others posting it on YouTube.

Steve Lieblich has written an article for J-Wire following the sentencing…read it here.

The case has been previously reported in J-Wire….

Comments

2 Responses to “O’Connell gets three years”
  1. julie ruth says:

    what ever happened to freedom of speech and where the hell is Australia heading this is frightening that some one could get three years jail for racist taunts we are not Islam

  2. Sideon Nagoyi says:

    The bloke deserves more than three years in jail. While the world is busy turning its back on racism, some fools still think racism is a favourite game. This will be a lesson for him and all those others villifying other people because of their race.

Speak Your Mind

Comments received without a full name will not be considered
Email addresses are NEVER published! All comments are moderated. J-Wire will publish considered comments by people who provide a real name and email address. Comments that are abusive, rude, defamatory or which contain offensive language will not be published

    Rules on posting comments