Land for 4000 new graves dedicated in Sydney

August 24, 2009 by Henry Benjamin
Read on for article

The Jewish Cemetery Trust  has dedicated a new section of Sydney’s Rookwood Cemetery in honour of the Chevra Kadisha.

The two organisations have worked together serving Sydney’s Jewish ccommunity for 142 years althoughthe Chevra’s history dates back to 1817.

]The plaque dedicating the land

David Ainsworth and Jack Fisher

The Chairman of the Trust, Jack Fisher, told J-Wire: “We have a had a long and successful association together. In dedicating this land, we are ensuring the community can maintain a sizable area in the cemetery.”

There are 28,000 Jewish graves in Rookwood many dating back to 1841 when the cemetery in Chalmers St was moved to make way for the city’s Central Railway station.

Fisher added: “We will do the best we can to keep the area in as fine a condition as possible…and we have already started selling plots in the new area.”

The dedication ceremony was performed Rabbi Jeremy Lawrence and the plaque unveiled by the president of the New South Wales Jewish Board of Deputies Robin Margo together with predecessor David Knoll and president-elect of the Great Synagogue Michael Gold. The President of the Sydney Chevra Kadisha David Ainsworth is photographed left with JCT Chairman Jack Fisher.

Speak Your Mind

Comments received without a full name will not be considered
Email addresses are NEVER published! All comments are moderated. J-Wire will publish considered comments by people who provide a real name and email address. Comments that are abusive, rude, defamatory or which contain offensive language will not be published

    Rules on posting comments