Charges against grave desecration accused dropped

November 5, 2012 by Miriam Bell
Read on for article

Charges against the man named in Auckland’s Jewish grave desecration case have been dropped.

Charges against the man named in Auckland’s Jewish grave desecration case have been dropped.

Ugly message

The police issued a statement this morning which said the charges against Nathan Symington (23) will be formally withdrawn as there is “insufficient evidence to carry a robust prosecution”.

However, they said the prosecution against the other two defendants – who are aged 19 and 20, and who have name suppression – will continue. They are due to appear in court on Tuesday November 13.

A police spokesperson said they were unable to make any further comment on the matter at this stage as the case was still making its way through the court system.

Syminton, who has been outspoken in his denial of guilt, had not made any public comment as JWire went to press today.

Auckland Jewish Council president, Stephen Goodman, said police told him last week that they believed they had insufficient evidence to proceed against Syminton, but were confident they had a sound case against the other two accused.

“We have faith that the police are acting in the proper manner and we look forward to a speedy conclusion to the matter,” he said.

Speak Your Mind

Comments received without a full name will not be considered
Email addresses are NEVER published! All comments are moderated. J-Wire will publish considered comments by people who provide a real name and email address. Comments that are abusive, rude, defamatory or which contain offensive language will not be published

    Rules on posting comments