Two IDF officers removed from combat roles after arrested 80-year-old Arab dies of heart attack

February 2, 2022 by TPS
Read on for article

IDF Chief of Staff Lt. General Aviv Kochavi was presented on Monday with an investigation following the activity of an IDF unit on the night of January 12, 2022, in the village of Jaljulia in the Binyamin region in which an 80-year-old Arab man died hours after being detained by the troops.

After the incident, an investigation was opened by the military police, in the framework of which a number of officers, soldiers and other witnesses were questioned. Investigators are also working to gather relevant evidence, making concerted efforts to coordinate with Palestinian witnesses.

The investigation shows that during the night, operational activity was carried out in the village of Jaljulia to thwart terrorist activity and locate weapons. As part of the operation, an IDF force stopped vehicles for inspection. One of the vehicles was driven by Amar Assad, 80, who did not carry an identification card and refused to be inspected. To allow the forces to continue to operate, and noting the lack of cooperation on his part, his resistance and violence, a strip of cloth was placed over his mouth for a short time and his hands were handcuffed.

Assad was taken to the yard of a nearby building, where three other Arabs who were also detained by the military force were being held. At the end of the operation, about half an hour later, the fighters released the suspects, and Assad was released from his bindings. The investigation revealed that the force did not identify any signs of distress or other suspicious signs regarding his health, and based on his behaviour, the fighters thought he was asleep and did not attempt to wake him. A few hours later the report on his death was received.

According to partial findings from the autopsy report, as submitted by the Palestinian Authority, Assad’s death was caused by a heart attack.

The IDF stated that “the incident is serious and unfortunate. The incident indicates a value failure of the part of the force and a mistake in judgment, with a serious violation of the value of human dignity,” even though there was no use of violence beyond suppressing Assad’s initial resistance.

The IDF determined that the force failed by leaving the place and leaving Assad lying, without verifying his condition. In addition, professional gaps arose in the planning and execution of the mission.

Kochavi accepted the conclusions of the investigation and said that the incident is a very serious failure in values.

“The departure of the forces from the scene and leaving Assad without verifying his condition indicates a numbness of the senses and is contrary to IDF values, at their core is the duty to maintain the dignity of every person as a person,” he stated.

He ordered that the conclusions of the investigation and its lessons be learned among all the forces, in order to prevent the recurrence of similar cases.

In view of the conclusions of the investigation, the commander of the “Netzach Yehuda” battalion will be reprimanded by the commander of the Central Command.

The company commander and the platoon commander were immediately dismissed and they will not serve in command positions for two years.

The investigation’s findings will be submitted to the military prosecutor’s office for examination and decisions will be made at the legal level regarding those involved in the incident.


Speak Your Mind

Comments received without a full name will not be considered
Email addresses are NEVER published! All comments are moderated. J-Wire will publish considered comments by people who provide a real name and email address. Comments that are abusive, rude, defamatory or which contain offensive language will not be published

Got something to say about this?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.