Dayenu withdraws from Sydney Mardi Gras parade after 25 years citing safety fears
Sydney’s Jewish LGBTQIA+ organisation Dayenu has withdrawn from the 2026 Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Parade, ending a continuous 25-year tradition of participation, citing fears for the safety of members, spectators, participants, volunteers, police, and the broader community amid rising antisemitism and recent violent incidents.
The decision follows the December 14, 2025, Bondi Beach terrorist attack in which 15 people were killed and more than 40 injured.

Dayenu group ready for the 2025 Mardi Gras (photo by Toby Evans)
David, a representative of Dayenu, said the final decision was shaped not only by the Bondi attack but also by more recent unrest. Referring to the recent protests, he indicated, “It was the events at Sydney Town Hall that really cemented it for us that things are turning very violent,” he said.
“Even if there were just a handful of those people who decided to rush our float at Mardi Gras, an elderly person, or anyone… being pushed out of the way… would be something that Dayenu could not and would not want to be responsible for.”
David emphasised concern for everyone attending: “We are worried about spectators. We’re worried about the volunteers, we’re worried about the police, and we’re worried about other participants,” he said. “We just feel that our presence could be dangerous for others… and that is not what Mardi Gras is about.”
In a formal statement, the organisation said the world had changed for Jewish Australians since the October 7, 2023, Hamas attacks on Israel and the surge in antisemitic incidents that followed.
Despite heightened tensions, Dayenu marched in previous years, including in 2024, when a volunteer suffered an asthma attack requiring hospitalisation amid parade disruptions. David said that while the group received strong support from spectators last year, the atmosphere had changed significantly this year.

Dayenu participants in the 2011 Mardi Gras
“We were hesitant,” he said of this decision. “I think it was the last straw… it really brought home the idea that our presence would encourage violent protesters to engage.”
Founded in the late 1990s, Dayenu has long represented Jewish LGBTQ+ Australians in one of the world’s most prominent pride parades. David, who has been involved for two decades and helped build its floats, said participation reflected a profound shift in acceptance within the Jewish community.
He emphasised that the decision did not reflect hostility towards Mardi Gras organisers, with whom the group maintains a strong relationship.
“We enjoy an excellent relationship with Mardi Gras… [it’s a] disappointment that the current climate is such,” he said, noting that feedback from members had been “overwhelmingly… in support and relieved that in the current climate, we’ve decided not to march.”
The organisation also expressed gratitude: “Dayenu holds dear our strong, 26-year relationship with Mardi Gras. We are grateful for the incredible support we have received from Mardi Gras who are inclusive of Dayenu and assist us to protect our members in an often hateful and dangerous climate for all Jews,” the committee said.
Dayenu stressed the withdrawal is temporary and expressed hope for a return.
“Dayenu will be back when our community is treated properly and respectfully,” David said, adding that Jewish and LGBTQ+ identities had become deeply intertwined. “Now… our LGBT is united with our Jewish community.”
The Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Parade, scheduled for Saturday, 28 February 2026, is expected to attract tens of thousands of participants and spectators.







