Attack on city synagogue concerning, says premier

February 21, 2026 by AAP J-Wire
Read on for article

A major city synagogue has been damaged after a car rammed into its front gates, prompting a police investigation.

Brisbane Synagogue

Police have charged a man after a car was used to ram the gates of a large city synagogue.

Officers say the Toyota Hilux utility knocked down the gates to the property, in Brisbane’s Margaret Street, shortly after 7pm on Friday.

The driver fled the scene before being taken into custody a short time later.

No one was injured during the incident.

Police said a 32-year-old Sunnybank man was expected to face Brisbane Magistrates Court on Saturday charged with wilful damage, serious vilification or hate crime.

He is also accused of dangerously operating a vehicle and possessing dangerous drugs and the utensils for their use.

Queensland Premier David Crisafulli has described the alleged attack as concerning and says Jewish Australians would be feeling deeply distressed by the incident.

“I have spoken to Jewish leaders, as well as police, and I want to assure Queenslanders we are taking this seriously,” he wrote on social media.

“This is another signal as to why we have put strong laws before parliament to protect all people where they worship.”

“We are going through the process and I fully intend to have them passed during the next sitting of parliament.”

An inquiry into the proposed legislation has been told multiple stakeholders were not consulted before the bill was drafted.

The Federation of Islamic Councils, the Islamic Council of Queensland and the Ethnic Communities Council of Queensland all told the state’s parliamentary committee for justice, integrity and community safety that they had been bypassed.

Under the laws, Queensland’s attorney-general would have the power to outlaw phrases, the public uttering of which would be punishable by two years in prison.

Andrew Wallace MP, Federal Member for Fisher and Chair of the Australia-Israel Allies Caucus, regarding this morning’s alleged ramming of the Brisbane Synagogue on Margaret Street.
Mr Wallace said the attack was an assault not just on a building, but on the values that define us as Australians.
“No person should fear attending their place of worship. This was a cowardly and hateful act, and I stand in absolute solidarity with the Jewish community of Queensland and across Australia,” Mr Wallace said.
“I commend Premier Crisafulli for his swift and decisive response and congratulate the Queensland Government on their commitment to strengthening hate speech and vilification laws before Parliament. That is exactly the right response, and I look forward to seeing those protections passed at the next sitting.”

Police say their investigation into Friday evening’s apparent attack are ongoing.

By: Allanah Sciberras/AAP with JWire

Speak Your Mind

Comments received without a full name will not be considered
Email addresses are NEVER published! All comments are moderated. J-Wire will publish considered comments by people who provide a real name and email address. Comments that are abusive, rude, defamatory or which contain offensive language will not be published

Got something to say about this?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Discover more from J-Wire

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading