Yeshivah Sexual Abuse – man arrested

September 6, 2011 by J-Wire Staff
Read on for article

A man has been arrested in connection with the child abuse investigation relating to the Melbourne Yeshivah.

A police statement issued this morning reads:

“Detectives from the Moorabbin Sexual Offences and Child Abuse Investigation Team have charged a Balaclava man in relation to alleged sex offences committed between 1984 and 1991.

The 43-year-old has been charged with 16 counts of indecent assault and 13 counts of gross indecency.

Balaclava man David Cyprys has been granted bail but remains in custody until he produces surety of $50,000.

A Victorian police spokesperson told J-Wire: “Bail conditions imposed in the Magistrates Court today include daily reporting to the police and surrendering his passport. Cypris has been ordered to go no closer than 100m to any school and he is forbidden to attend any port or airport. Furthermore he is not allowed to leave Victoria.”

Manny Waks at Yeshiva College

Manny Waks, a victim of sexual abuse at the Yeshivah, said: “I am relieved that finally justice will be done for the crimes this person has committed and that this dangerous individual will not be in a position to hurt other children. I am also hopeful that the handful of sceptics out there will now try to begin to comprehend what has transpired over so many years to so many people.  I am profoundly grateful to the incredible support that I’ve received from so many people from around Australia and around the world – family, friends and total strangers. I am also grateful to the police for undertaking this investigation in a thorough and determined way. I am anticipating a protracted court case and a challenging period ahead. I and the other victims remain determined to ensure justice prevails and that the perpetrator and his facilitators are held to full account.”

The Principal of the Yeshivah College Rabbi Yehoshua Smukler  at which Cyprys had been employed as a security guard, issuesd the following statement: “We understand that charges have now been laid against Mr David Cyprys and that some of these charges may relate to former students of the College during the 1980s and early 1990s. The College would like to assure our students, families and the broader community that we have all possible measures in place, to provide a safe and secure environment at the College.
In circumstances where the charges are before the Court, it would be inappropriate for the College to comment further at this time.
However, the College again expresses its sympathy to those who may have been affected in any way. We continue to stand ready to offer support and provide counselling to anyone who feels this would be of benefit to them.
In the meantime, the College continues to cooperate fully with the Police.”

A spokeswoman for Elwood Synagogue confirmed to J-Wire that Cyprys had stood down as a board member “several weeks ago”.

 

Comments

3 Responses to “Yeshivah Sexual Abuse – man arrested”
  1. Lynne Newington says:

    Wonderful for the boy Manny, of years gone by.
    As a mother, thank you to this community here and overseas, for publicly supporting the young man of today facing the demons of another’s actions.

Speak Your Mind

Comments received without a full name will not be considered
Email addresses are NEVER published! All comments are moderated. J-Wire will publish considered comments by people who provide a real name and email address. Comments that are abusive, rude, defamatory or which contain offensive language will not be published

    Rules on posting comments