Toben in court – facing bankruptcy

June 3, 2011 by J-Wire Staff
Read on for article

Fredrick Toben lost a case brought by the Executive Council of Australian Jewry in 2009 for uploading articles to his website implying that those offended by Holocaust denial were of limited intelligence…he was sentenced to three months in prison and $56,000 in costs were awarded to Jeremy Jones who was the plaintiff. No money was received and Toben has faced bankruptcy proceedings in Adelaide’s Federal Court.

Fredrick Toben

Jones, who had been acting on behalf of the Executive Council of Australian Jewry told J-Wire: “Not a cent has been received…and although the costs have been awarded to me, any funds received would go straight into the ECAJ revenue as they funded the case. The money reflects only the costs incurred in running the case…not a cent is due to me personally.”

Toben asked Justice Anthony Besanko to adjourn the case so that his lawyer could attend court.  He was told this was not possible in bankruptcy matters but he was given additional time.

Adelaide Now reports that Toben said that “they” are trying to stop him functioning.

Speak Your Mind

Comments received without a full name will not be considered
Email addresses are NEVER published! All comments are moderated. J-Wire will publish considered comments by people who provide a real name and email address. Comments that are abusive, rude, defamatory or which contain offensive language will not be published

    Rules on posting comments