Soccer player turns to the Human Rights Commission

April 21, 2013 by J-Wire Staff
Read on for article

With less than ten minutes to go, South Port United, also known as Hapoel, were down 2-1 but the momentum of the game had turned in their favour…until things turned nasty.

Hapoel aka South Port United

Hapoel aka South Port United

24-yr-old Simon Fixler had already received a yellow card in the VicSoccer league game against NK Bunker at Richmond when he went to try to settle down an incident involving a player who appeared to have cramp. d He told J-Wire: “We had experienced racial abuse during the match from the team and its supporters but what happened next shocked me. One of their players pressed his forehead against mine and threatened me before calling me a f…ing Jew and spitting on my face.”

NV-BunkerFixler headed straight for the sidelines not realising that the referee had spotted the end of the incident and had issued him with a red card. Fixler called the police and has asked the league for the details of the player who allegedly abused him.

He added: “When I get the details I will officially lodge a complaint with the Human Rights Commission. This kind of behaviour can not be tolerated and it has made an impact on the league, We have to make an example of this club and its underlying culture of racism.”

Fixler said: “I am not sure what is happening about my red card. The referee was made aware of what happened and my understanding is that may be rescinded.”

J-Wire asked Fixler if he would be appearing for his club this weekend. He said: “It all depends on the red card which automatically bans me for one game. If I can’t play, I’ll be there to support the boys and man the barbecue.”

But last week’s incident is at the forefront of the law student’s thoughts. “Soccer has to be seen to be taking a strong position on eliminating racism from the game”.

The Caulfield North footballer has brought the incident to the attention of Federal MP Michael Danby and State MP David Southwick.

Victorian police told J-Wire: “The incident is still being investigated.”

 

Comments

One Response to “Soccer player turns to the Human Rights Commission”
  1. Michael says:

    Thes things happen in Australia ? I cannot believe I hope is not going to happen anymore

Speak Your Mind

Comments received without a full name will not be considered
Email addresses are NEVER published! All comments are moderated. J-Wire will publish considered comments by people who provide a real name and email address. Comments that are abusive, rude, defamatory or which contain offensive language will not be published

    Rules on posting comments