Simon Crean firms up commitment to Holocaust studies.

August 18, 2010 by J-Wire Staff
Read on for article

Simon Crean, the Federal Minister for Education, has firmed up an oral commitment to mandatory Holocaust studies in Australian schools.

Simon Crean

In a written statement released to media today the Minister has said:  “I would expect that the express inclusion of the Holocaust in the draft year 10 history curriculum will be retained in the final version.”

Last week The Executive Council of Australian Jewry issued a statement in which they said: “The Federal Minister for Education, Simon Crean, today appeared to confirm that the Holocaust will be a mandatory part of the history curriculum, ending recent speculation that the subject might be optional only.  Responding to an enquiry from the Executive Council of Australian Jewry, Mr Crean said:

“My position is entirely consistent with that of the Prime Minister. We share the belief that events such as the Holocaust must form an important part of the history curriculum.”

The President of the ECAJ, Robert Goot, welcomed the Minister’s statement.  “We appreciate the Minister’s renewed commitment to the mandatory inclusion of the Holocaust and look forward to the commitment being met when the final National History curriculum is published”.

Comments

One Response to “Simon Crean firms up commitment to Holocaust studies.”
  1. Rita Liddle says:

    Good, but lets hope that this does not go the same way, the election promise of “Kevin O7” went, who, once in power, forgot all about taking “Iran to an International Court for incitement to genocide”.

Speak Your Mind

Comments received without a full name will not be considered
Email addresses are NEVER published! All comments are moderated. J-Wire will publish considered comments by people who provide a real name and email address. Comments that are abusive, rude, defamatory or which contain offensive language will not be published

    Rules on posting comments