Sydney students call for Israel boycott
The University of Western Sydney’s Students’ Association is lobbying the university to boycott Israeli academic co-operation
The motion to affiliate to the “Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel was adopted during orientation week in full.
The Australian Union of Jewish Students told J-Wire that they had been contacted by parents of Jewish students at the university who had been abused on campus.
The motion carried is as follows:
The University of Western Sydney’s Student Association will:
• Refrain from participation in any form of academic and cultural cooperation, collaboration or joint projects with Israeli institutions;
• Advocate a comprehensive boycott of Israeli institutions at the national and international levels, including suspension of all forms of funding and subsidies to these institutions;
• Promote divestment and disinvestment from Israel by international academic institutions;
• Work toward the condemnation of Israeli policies by pressing for resolutions to be adopted by academic, professional and cultural associations and organizations;
• Support Palestinian academic and cultural institutions directly without requiring them to partner with Israeli counterparts as an explicit or implicit condition for such support.