Carr comments on Australian passport holder in Hezbollah
Foreign Minister Senator Bob Carr has commented on an Australian passport holder being a person of interest among those responsible for the bombing of a tourist bus in Bulgaria last year which killed five Israeli tourists and two others.
He said that he has been notified officially of the latest position.
Bob Carr said: “The Bulgarian Government has today provided an update on its investigation into the bombing of an Israeli tourist bus at Burgas Airport on July 18, 2012, in which seven people were killed.
The Bulgarian Government has indicated that one person of interest in the matter may be an Australian passport holder and that there is a ‘justified assumption’ that two of the people involved belong to the military wing of the terrorist group Hezbollah.
The Australian Government has listed the Hezbollah External Security Organisation as a terrorist group since 2003. Support for or membership of this Organisation is an offence under Australian law.
The Australian Federal Police has worked with Bulgarian authorities in pursuit of those responsible for the bombing.
All Australians would be proud that the AFP has played an important role in this investigation to date.
Australia continues to be a key player in regional and global efforts to identify and prevent terrorist operations.
The Australian Government condemns all acts of political violence and terrorism and welcomes today’s evidence of progress in this investigation.
Such attacks on innocent civilians are reprehensible in the extreme.
Our thoughts remain with the friends and families of those killed in the attack, with the injured, and with the people of Israel and Bulgaria.”
The newly-appointed Minister for Immigration and Citizenship Brendan O’Connor told ABC this morning that he could not disclose whether or not Australia knew the man’s identity. The man is understood to have resided in Lebanon since 2006.