Bob Carr on the Israeli Election
“Israel’s national elections reflect its proud democratic tradition,” Senator Carr said.
- called on the United States to lead a major effort in 2013 to achieve a negotiated two-state solution with a secure Israel alongside a Palestinian state;
- called on the Palestinian Authority and the new Israeli government “to engage seriously in negotiations without preconditions”
- said “actions by both sides must be in the interests of peace”
- called on the Palestinian Authority “to exercise restraint and avoid provocative actions at international forums” following the Palestinian status vote in the United Nations
- urged the Palestinians “to resolve their internal differences, unite for peace and cease acts of violence against Israel;” and
- called for the Palestinians “to abide by the terms of the Gaza ceasefire and to stop all rocket attacks” and
- Called on Israel to stop settlement activity.