Jewish graves will not be re-used

November 3, 2013 by J-Wire
Read on for article

A Bill introduced into the NSW Parliament which would allow a grave to be re-used 25 years after its occupant’s death will not affect the Jewish community.

David Knoll

David Knoll

In a story published on J-Wire last week, State Labor Member Ron Hoenig called the reuse of the graves “unethical and a betrayal of Jewish religious beliefs.

But David Knoll, the spokesperson for the New South Waled Jewish Board of Deputies on cemetery issues, has told J-Wire that the new legislation will not affect the Jewish community.

He said: “The new legislation clearly offers permanent tenure to all religions which require it.”

Knoll added that the legislation will not allow the exhumation of any Jewish body without full permission from the Beth Din also pointing out that the new legislation will make any desecration of a grave or any disruption of a religious service within a cemetery an offence.

Knoll has been responsible for working with authorities to secure the establishment of new burial facilities at Botany, Rookwood and Kempsey.

He added: “Working with government, we have secured sufficient burial space for the community until 2040 and we have plans underway to provide graves for the community until the end of the century. No other State has these arrangements in place.”

Speak Your Mind

Comments received without a full name will not be considered
Email addresses are NEVER published! All comments are moderated. J-Wire will publish considered comments by people who provide a real name and email address. Comments that are abusive, rude, defamatory or which contain offensive language will not be published

    Rules on posting comments