Emanuel student joins NSW Young Labor in education fight

September 25, 2012 by J-Wire Staff
Read on for article

The high school network of NSW Young Labor has joined the campaign to fight the O’Farrell Government’s slashing of $1.7 billion from all NSW schools and has now reached a number of students from government and independent schools.

Alexi Pall (TES – year 12 graduate); Walt Secord MP; Young Labor president Michael Buckland; Jonty Katz (TES – year 12 graduate); Louise Sologub (TES – year 12) and Young Labor executive member Penelope Parker
pic: Genevieve Gorin

Students from Newtown School of Performing Arts, Sydney Girls High School and Pennant Hills High School have already joined the Students Against School Cuts campaign – sponsored by NSW Young Labor.

So far, almost 700 students have joined – since last week.

This week, Jonty Katz of The Emanuel School joined NSW Young Labor president, Mr Michael Buckland to officially oppose the cuts.

Young Labor has also set up a website to attract supporters. It is:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/StudentsAgainstSchoolCuts/info

Mr Buckland and Mr Katz were joined in support by NSW Young Labor general executive member, Ms Penny Parker and NSW Labor MP, Mr Walt Secord, who is also deputy chair of the NSW Parliamentary Friends of Israel.

Mr Buckland said: “The high school network has started to fight these cuts because they are angry that their voice in education was not being heard by elected officials.”

“They cannot vote; so we have to,” Mr Buckland said.

Mr Katz said he valued his education and his time spent as a student at The Emanuel School.

“The students at my school feel like targets with no way of fighting back.”

“We care about our education and cannot take it for granted.”

Mr Secord said: “Last week, the Australian Council of Jewish Schools said the cuts would total up to $3 million across NSW Jewish dayschools.”

“Before the election, the O’Farrell Government promised to protect and continue the current funding levels for independent, including Catholic and Jewish schools.

“These cuts will affect every school and every student,” Mr Secord said.

Premier Barry O’Farrell has announced:

·         $1.7 billion will be cut from schools and TAFEs;

·         1800 teachers and support staff will be sacked; and

·         TAFE fees will increase by almost 10 per cent with fine arts courses in non-job growth areas will be charged at commercial rates and apprenticeship programs affected.

 

Comments

One Response to “Emanuel student joins NSW Young Labor in education fight”
  1. Halina says:

    I am fully aware that the 16 years of Labour ruling NSW were very detrimental for the state’s financial situation. However, this doesn’t justify the present Premier to go against the promises from before the election, which elevated him to this position. Quite apart from that, slashing money paying education is the most damaging for the future of our state. We need well educated workers to work in a productive way to be able to export our products as well as to satisfy the local market. This of course is the most vital for having full employment and people being able to live in civilised conditions. The most worrying is the fact that this is not only the newly elected NSW government going this wrong way. It appears that both Victoria and Queensland are shoving the same miscalculations detrimental to the future of the whole Australian federation.

Speak Your Mind

Comments received without a full name will not be considered
Email addresses are NEVER published! All comments are moderated. J-Wire will publish considered comments by people who provide a real name and email address. Comments that are abusive, rude, defamatory or which contain offensive language will not be published

    Rules on posting comments