1982 Sydney bombings – the hunt is on

August 26, 2012 by J-Wire Staff
Read on for article

Thirty years ago Sydney’s Hakoah Club and the city’s Israeli consulate were the targets of bombers…the perpetrators of these crimes were never brought to justice.

But the NSW counter-terrorism police have announced they are re-investigating the incidents on “positive lines of inquiry”.

Phil Filler, the current president of the Hakoah Club told J-Wire: “Even though the event occurred 30 years ago, the Club is glad the police are determined to continue their investigation.”

NSW Jewish Board of Deputies president Yair Miller said: “We welcome the fact that new evidence seems to have come to light that might help solve this case.  We have every confidence that the police are dealing with the matter appropriately.”

 

The facts:

On December 23, 1982 a bomb was detonated in the stairwell of a building adjacent to the Israeli consulate at 80 William St causing injuries to two people and significant damage to the building.

Four hours and forty five minutes later another device was exploded in the boot of car parked in the Hakoah Club at that time situated in Hall St, Bondi. This bomb failed to explode cleanly and whereas there was damage to cars, no-one was injured. But evidence was produced later revealing that the bomb had been designed to cause the building to collapse. AT the time of the explosion the Hakoah Club was heavily occupied.

A 31-yr-old man was arrested and charged at the time but charges were withdrawn later by the NSW Attorney-General. Further investigations linked these attacks to the international terrorist organisation known as May 15.

Newspaper reports state that some suspects are still living in Sydney and that convicted terrorist turned informer Mohammed Rashid now serving a sentence in the U.S. has been helping the revamped NSW Police investigation.

J-Wire will attend a media conference this morning.

 

 

Comments

3 Responses to “1982 Sydney bombings – the hunt is on”
  1. Otto Waldmann says:

    I also reckon that a new line should be added to the NSW and Federal Police crests:

    ” TALLY HO “

  2. Otto Waldmann says:

    What should also make the news is that, while Channel Nine News at 6 last night carried the story, with Jeremy Jones given his statutory 5 second input, the much longer news segment at SBS/Al Jazeera was completely stumm about it. Obviously SBS did not want to upset their loyal Jewish audience on motzei Shabbat.

    As about our police force (!), if the last 30 years allowed them to conemplate seriously action against KNOWN suspects, time is just ripe for decisive action, and , as the President of NSWJBD put it so eloquently, they will deal with it “appropriately”. Ah, it has been a while since I used the word “appropriately” so approprately. Anyways, WHAT NEW EVIDENCE !!!???
    Can someone clarify it appropriately, please !!!

    • Rita says:

      “WHAT NEW EVIDENCE”

      Jewish votes perhaps? Any elections coming up?

      As to the Al Jazeera News: I want tax payer funded broad casters who use this “news service” to be privatised, because I object to funding this propaganda. Yes I am looking at you, SBS, and at you, ABC!

Speak Your Mind

Comments received without a full name will not be considered
Email addresses are NEVER published! All comments are moderated. J-Wire will publish considered comments by people who provide a real name and email address. Comments that are abusive, rude, defamatory or which contain offensive language will not be published

    Rules on posting comments